Aquatics Schedules can be found here.
- Parent and Child
- K3 Basics: K-3 Swim Basics is the first stage of swim lessons and focuses on skills for beginners. In this class, students are introduced to the pool and develop safe water habits in a fun and encouraging environment. Students become comfortable with underwater exploration and learn to safely exit a body of water in the event they fall in. This introductory stage builds the foundation for the child’s future progress in swimming. This class is specifically designed for children ages 3 years old.
- Preschool Aquatics
- Learn to Swim
- Private Lessons
- Parent and Child: Ages 6 months – 3 years
- K3 Basics: 3 years only
- Preschool Aquatics: Preschool Level 1-3, Ages 4-6
- Learn to Swim: Level 1-6, Ages 7-12
- Teen Swim: Ages 13-17
- Adult: 18+
PARENT OBSERVATION: Parents must remain on the pool deck during their child’s swim lesson. Unless involved in the parent/child class, parents are not allowed to be near the pool edge. This is to provide your child with the best possible learning experience. Parents can watch from the benches provided along the Natatorium walls. If an instructor needs your help with a bathroom visit or behavior issue, they will call you over to assist.
PASSING CLASSES: It is not uncommon for a child to stay in a particular level several times before successful completion. It is natural for participants to develop motor skills and become comfortable with water at a different pace. Practicing skills during open and family swim is strongly recommended to improve swim skills.
WEATHER POLICY: In the event there is lightning within 10 miles of the facility, the pool will close for your safety. We will make the call to reschedule lessons due to weather one hour before your lesson begins. Make up lessons will be scheduled with your instructor.
MISSED CLASSES: Sorry, missed classes cannot be made up; nor are they refundable.
3rd Grade Swim Lessons
The YMCA has strategic and aggressive goals that make a difference. Eliminate drownings through water safety education & awareness, by teaching life-saving swimming and self-rescue skills. All 3rd grade students residing in Jackson and Harrison counties are eligible for 1 free session of swimming lessons. Each session consists of eight 30-minute lessons, water safety education and a completion certificate upon the last lesson.
Private Swim Lessons
Are you not able to make the scheduled swim lesson times? Have you always wanted to learn to swim but wanted to work at your own pace? Private lessons may be right for you. We offer private lessons for ALL ages to accommodate to your (and the instructors’) schedule.
Prices vary depending on the number of lessons and goals in mind. Please call the YMCA at 228-875-5050.
- Youth Club: ages 7-17. Available for youth ages 7-16 (age 6 only if skills are proficient). Swimmers will participate with others similar in abilities and goals. Swimmers will learn proper stroke mechanics and race skills for all four strokes (butterfly, backstroke, breaststroke and freestyle), develop water and land-based fitness levels, and participate in team building activities designed to encourage friendship, teamwork and confidence.
- Middle/High School Club: available in the summer only.
- Masters Swim Club: Adults 18-118 will receive stroke refinement, endurance training, and team building with one of our USA Swimming certified coaches. Join a group of like-minded swimmers who are passionate about aquatic fitness. Masters Swim Club is ideal for intermediate-advanced swimmers. This is currently a non-competitive swim club.
The primary purpose of the American Red Cross Lifeguard course is to provide entry-level lifeguard participants with the knowledge and skills to prevent, recognize and respond to aquatic emergencies and to provide professional-level care for breathing and cardiac emergencies, injuries and sudden illnesses until emergency medical services (EMS) personnel take over.
The course consists of approx. 29 hours of a blended-learning style of instruction; the online content takes 7 hours to complete, and the in-person skills takes 19-21 hours. Lifeguard candidates need to pass a tryout before registering for this program. They will receive an email from American Red Cross, to start their online class portion. The instructor will issue a syllabus and a digital version of the Lifeguard participant manual.
Junior Lifeguard Camp provides a foundation of aquatic skills, which helps youths (aged 11 – 14) make a smooth transition into the American Red Cross Lifeguard course. Each day will focus on a different skill to include CPR/First Aid, water rescues, patron surveillance, and victim recognition. Upon completion of this course, participants will receive their American Red Cross CPR/First Aid certification. Lifeguard certification can be obtained at age 15.
Fee includes all course materials, official YMCA Junior Lifeguard t-shirt, CPR mask, and whistle.
Swim test: 50 yard continuous swim and 60 second tread
Junior Swim Instructor
The Junior Swim Instructor Program is designed for youth, ages 12-15. This is an internship program.
This program partners youth aids with our one of certified YMCA Swim Instructors to provide a hands-on practical experience learning the basics of working with children ages 3 to 9 years old in an aquatic setting. While this training is specific to swimming lessons, the Jr. S.I. will find aspects of the training that may be applied to any job. Junior Swim Instructors will be placed in a swim level based on their own aquatic comfort level.
Junior Swim Instructors are required to have a basic knowledge of front and back crawl (freestyle and backstroke)
During the program, Jr. S.I’s will receive a free student membership to the YMCA and gain valuable knowledge that will assist them in molding their future career in aquatics.
The fee for this program covers the cost of the participant’s t-shirt, training, and waiver.
Have Your Birthday at the Y! The Y has just the FUN celebration you’re looking for!Click Here for Rates
No alcohol, tobacco or illegal substances allowed on premises. Parents are responsible for the on-time pick up of all guests. Jacuzzi, sauna and steam room may not be utilized by pool rental guests.
**Dress Code: Proper swimming suits are required in pool and wet areas. No cut-offs, gym shorts or thongs will be allowed. No cotton t-shirts.**
- Boy’s and men’s suits must have a liner/net and a drawstring.
- Speedo Jammers are permissible.
- Ladies swim suit made with Lycra/spandex, nylon, or polyester.
- Garments made with Lycra/spandex, nylon or polyester are permissible.
- Please shower before entering pool, Jacuzzi or steam room.
SWIMMING: All children must pass a swim test before entering the pool. A parent must accompany children under 8 years of age in the water or on deck. Children ages 8- 12 years must have a parent in the facility and must pass a swim test.
SPA: Youth age 16 and older may use the sauna, jacuzzi and/or steam room.
Dive into the refreshing world of community aquatics with the Mississippi Gulf Coast YMCA! Our programs offer a fun and inclusive environment where everyone can learn to swim, improve their skills, and most importantly, have a blast! Plus, we’re always looking to expand our reach and partner with communities to bring the joy of aquatics to even more people. If you’re interested in making a splash in your area, click the link below and fill out the form. Let’s make a difference together!